Sunday, January 14, 2007

The Crossover

Today is a big day for Ila. For us. It's the first day she's been outside of the womb longer than she was inside of it. The beginning of a new era.

For this special day, I'd like to share a little song I've been singing to Ila since she was only a few days old. I had heard on one of Jack Kornfield's meditation tapes a lovely account of a custom from an African tribe (I'm sorry to say he didn't mention which one). The tradition regards a song for a child. From what I remember, it is something like this:

When a couple first thinks of having a child, the woman goes away by herself and comes back with a song for their child to be. Then, the couple sing the song while they are making love to conceive their child. The couple sing the song to the baby while it is in the womb, and then again to the child when it is first born. And it is sung on all important occasions, including their deathbed.

I loved this idea, and try as I might, I could not come up for a song while I was pregnant. I guess the little one was too much of a mystery. But once she was born, I found words to sing to her. The melody is very simple, a song written by someone who is not a songwriter. But the song is written by her mama and the melody (and some of the words) came to her mama in the early, surreal days of this tender being's first days outside the womb. Right after her first crossover. I sing it to her when she goes to sleep, and sometimes when we're walking. I hope to make it a custom to sing it Ila for her birthdays, maybe her bridal shower. I hope it's a song she can hold with her in the days after we are gone.

I love Ila, yes I do
I love Ila through and through

I-Ila, I-Ila
I-I love you

Little Baby, who are you?
Ila Violet show me now
Every day you'll change somehow

Baby, girl and woman then
Strange to think it won't be long

Sun and stars and mystery
That is what I hope for thee

I-Ila, I-Ila
I-I love you

Shadows, song, swinging and trees
Ila loves and she is free

Speeding bikes, ducks floating by
Kicking legs and big warm smile

Life is short and life is long
In our dreams and in our song
We will meet each other all along

Ila Violet that's my name
Daddy gave me on my birthday

I-Ila, I-Ila
I-I love you

1 Comments:

Blogger gert said...

Just what I need to read today. I think this is an excellent reason for people (like you and me) to stop fearing the big stacks... and to stop bullying the small stacks. It was quite useful reading, found some interesting viewpoints in here, - Thanks!
You find my Website Here

5:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home