Monday, April 17, 2006

documented life -- watchin movies

It has been so rainy and cold here, that I've been essentially trapped inside the house with Ila. That means I've had a chance to watch a lot of documentaries, and Ila's had my undivided attention as she tries to get some comfort for her farty tummy. Not only do we enjoy the service of Netflix with DVDs delivered to our home, but we also frequent our very good local video store, 49er Video. When I've been doing my favorite new hobby (breastfeeding, of course) I've been watching lots of films, shielding Ila's little eyes from the seductive flicker of the television.

In no particular order, I've watched The Devil's Playground, about a tradition in Amish communities where young folks (once they hit the age of 16) enjoy "Rumspringa" a period call of total freedom to explore the "English" (non Amish) world. Since most of them already have jobs by this age, they also have money to explore cars, concerts, beer and hard drugs. In Amish belief, only an adult can choose to be baptised, so at some point, after their Rumspringa period, the young person must choose whether he/she wants to join the Amish church and be baptised, or leave the church and be part of the English world. The documentary is great, surprising. And most surprising to me is that 90%, that's right 90%, of young people choose to return to their communites join the Amish church.

Also saw The Nomi Song -- a documentary about the late 70s pop phenomenon, Klaus Nomi. Klaus Nomi fused his love of opera with a fantastical embrace of outer space, and tragically was one of the first public figures to die of AIDS. I remember hearing about Klaus Nomi when I was a youngster on TV, and he's always been a figure I've been interested in. I remembered the operatic voice. I didn't remember the music, and I was surprised how before its time it was. The film is great.

Also saw these films: Yogis of Tibet, which includes history of Yogis and some pretty amazing Yogic meditation techniques (like nothing I've ever seen, way beyond breathing or yoga). Dig! the movie about the love/hate relationship between the leaders of The Brian Jonestown Massacre and The Dandy Warhols. I can't believe I never saw or even listened to Brian Jonestown Massacre as they played in SF a lot. They were a band to appreciate musically from the sounds in the DVD, but not one to idolize for their antics. No way. This film chronicles the downward spiral into drugs and idiotry for BJM, and the moderate success of the Dandy Warhols.

One other movie I'm looking forward to watching is Baby Fart Aerobics. How could I have been surprised that babies have lots of problems with gas and pooping? Ila looks like she is tortured when she has to poo or fart. Baby Fart Aerobics is a dvd that I ordered to help you help the baby with massage and movement.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home